Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Cute Baby Lovey blanket Pattern!!

Hello!

Here is a pattern for a baby lovey/ security blanket.  These blankets are one of my favorite items to make. I usually attach a little crochet stuffed animal or doll to the corner to make them even more special for that little loved one.  I plan on attaching a little crochet giraffe to this one and the pattern is coming soon!!

These crochet lovey blankets are really easy to make and can be done in an afternoon! I love to crochet while I am winding down at night after a long day.  I will usually be watching a show like Grey's Anatomy or the Gilmore Girls and my hands will be furiously crocheting.  These are so nice to make because you don't really have to keep count as you are crocheting, unlike while you are crocheting a amigurumi animal or doll.  

This blanket was inspired by a big bag of yarn that was given to me by one of my aunts.  She no longer had any use for the yarn and knew how much I liked crocheting, so gave it to me! I was so excited! It was like an early christmas present.  As I was riffling through the bag I would pull each ball of yarn out and immediately my mind would start to think of what I would create with it! I also found an H hook which was a nice surprise, you can never have to many H hooks. This Ombre color baby yarn was near the end of the bag, but as soon as I pulled it out I knew it would be my next project. The the light ombre color was so precious and I knew I had white yarn in my yarn stash and could not wait to make a cute little baby blanket! 

The idea of the giraffe did not come to me immediately, but that story will come along with my giraffe pattern post!  

This lovey blanket uses a double crochet for the main part of the blanket and a shell stitch for the trim. I love using the shell stitch trim.  It gives a cute elegance to the blanket and is very commonly found on my baby blankets.

This pattern measures out to be about 14 1/2 inches in width and length.

You can choose any color combination for the main part of the blanket and the trim.  I decided to use a soft baby rainbow ombre yarn for the main part of the blanket and a white for the trim.  I love using ombre yarn because it changes colors as you go, giving the blanket a nice unique look.

Happy Crocheting!



Difficulty: Easy

This Pattern uses the following stitches: 
  • st = stitch
  • sc = single crochet (UK double crochet)
  • dc = double crochet (UK triple crochet)
  • sl/st = slip stitch (UK single crochet)
  • ch = chain
  • f/o = finish off
  • sh = shell stitch 
Shell stitch = 5 double crochets in one stitch

Main blanket:

using ombre yarn ch 41, turn 
Round 1: dc in 3rd ch from hook, dc in each of the next stitches all the way across, turn (39)
Round 2: ch 2, dc in each on the next stitches all the way across, turn (39)
Round 3- 20: repeat round 2 (39)
Round 21: ch 1, single crochet in each of the next stitches all the way across [this is the base for the trim] (39)
  • Once you finish the row do an extra 2 single crochet stitches in the last stitch.  This stitch is the  corner stitch and should now have three sc stitches in it. (42)
  • Turn your blanket a quarter turn to the right to begin going down the side of you blanket
  • Do 2 sc in each hole (the hole was created but the double crochet stitch) (40)
  • Turn your blanket a quarter turn to the right again. Now you should be at the bottom of the blanket.  Do 3 sc stitches in the first stitch, continue all the way down doing one sc in each of the stitches until you are to the last stitch, in the last stitch do 3 sc in the one stitch (45)
  • Turn your blanket a quarter turn to the right to begin the opposite side. Do 2 sc in each hole. (40)
  • Once you have reached the end sl st to join to the first edge and f/o.

Shell Stich Trim
  1. using the white yarn attach onto the corner of your blanket and ch 1 
  2. in next stitch do 5 dc
  3. skip the net stitch 
  4. sl/st in next stitch 
  5. skip next stitch 
  6. Repeat from 2 to 5 until you have gone all the way around the blanket and f/o. 
Note: You might have an uneven amount of stitches at the end. If that is the case either skip an extra stitch or take out a skip of a stitch to make it work. 




I know that selecting yarn for projects can sometime be challenging.  Should you go the thrifty route, the most natural, etc.? Most the time I try to be as thrifty as possible however whenever I am making things for babies or small children I like to try and use a natural option of yarn and filling.  Below I have both the thrifty option and the natural option of yarn/filling for this project!

Thrifty:
ombre yarn: Caron Simply Baby Yarn Ombre  (just enough for blanket, only scraps left over)
white yarn: Red Heart, White Yarn  (will have a lot left over)

Natural/ Organic:
Debbie Bliss Eco Baby Prints Meadow 100% Organic Cotton Fair Trade Yarn

Don't miss my next pattern!


Please Note: This pattern in the property of heycrochailey.  You may not sell or redistribute this pattern in any way.
However you may: Post up to two pictures on your blog or website with a link back to this post. 
You may also: Sell your own handmade items form this pattern as long as there is a clearly listed link back to this post in your description. 


No comments:

Post a Comment